Honourary Life Member Award
The Honourary Life Member Award is given to renowned and distinct person in recognition of their contribution to the advancement of local government administration in the Northwest Territories.
LGANT Award of Excellence
The LGANT Award of Excellence is given to a Local Government Administrator in the NWT who has displayed outstanding commitment, dedication and public service, and is held in high regard by his/her profession and community.
Deadline for nominations for the 2018 Award of Excellence is Friday, August 31, 2018. Click on the links below for the nomination form in MS Word or PDF.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
The LGANT Award of Excellence will be presented to a Local Government Administrator in the Northwest Territories employed by a local community government who has displayed outstanding commitment, dedication and public service and is held in high regard by his / her profession and community.
Nominations for the LGANT Award of Excellence shall consider:
1. Demonstrated leadership, innovation, and achievement in the community government profession.
2. Contributions to improvements of the profession and their community through their initiatives and accomplishments.
3. Involvements in the community through participation in volunteer and local initiatives.
4. Highly regarded by their community government, peers and community members.
5. Demonstrated ethical standard beyond reproach.
In order to be eligible for nomination for the LGANT Award of Excellence, nominees must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Hold an LGA position (LGA shall normally mean a person holding the position of Senior Administrative Officer, Band Manager, Chief Administrative Officer, Town Manager, Council Manager, Chief Executive Officer or City Administrator) for a community government in the NWT for at least two years.
2. Be employed by a local community government in the Northwest Territories on the date of the nomination submission.
The recipient of the award will be recognized in the following ways:
• Award presentation at the LGANT Professional Development Conference and Annual General Meeting in the presence of peers and special guests;
• Featured on the LGANT website and other communication to members and stakeholders;
• Recognition letter from the LGANT President to the recipient’s local community government council or governing body;
• Personal plaque of recognition;
• LGANT’s Award of Excellence plaque of recognition housed at the LGANT office.
NOMINATION RULES & GUIDELINES
1. Any NWT resident may nominate an LGA for this award.
2. The nomination package must be submitted to the LGANT office by the deadline of 4:00 p.m. on the last business day of June in any year. Faxed or e-mailed submissions will be accepted.
3. The nomination must, at minimum, consist of:
A. Completed LGANT nomination form; and
B. One (1) page biography of the nominee including a rationale for the nomination.
Optional (to strengthen the nomination):
4. Three letters of reference. At least one letter should come from a community member not employed by the nominee’s community government and at least one must come from an LGANT member. No letters to support the nominee shall come from immediate family, and;
5. Up to five additional pages of support material which may include newspaper articles, letters of commendation, etc.
All information submitted to LGANT shall become the property of LGANT and will not be returned. All nominee information submitted will be kept strictly confidential unless the nominee is selected to receive the award.
Nominations will be reviewed by an Awards of Excellence Selection Committee consisting of LGANT members and other authorized representatives selected by the Executive Committee of LGANT’s Board of Directors.
Members of the Awards of Excellence Selection Committee can also submit nominations for consideration.
Nominations can be submitted by mail, fax or email:
P.O. Box 2083
Yellowknife NT X1A 2P6