Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where can I find a job description to hire a new Senior Administrative Officer? 


Job descriptions can be found on the Templates Page under Job Descriptions.


2. How do I get a job advertised? 


LGANT members can post job opportunities for free on our website, LGANT's social media, and Email and we'll post the job for you. You can use this job service for ANY job in your government (e.g. lifeguard, finance director, band manager, electrician, etc)


3. Does LGANT provide funding for me to attend the Annual LGANT Conference & AGM? 


            LGANT supports ONE person per community to attend the annual conference. You must be an LGANT Regular member to be eligible for financial assistance,              and you are responsible for the first $1000 of your expenses (e.g. air or ground travel accommodations, meals). For more information, see LGANT Regular                  Member Travel Policy. 

            LGANT members who are part of a First Nation band of Tribal Council may be eligible to have their expenses fully paid by Crown-Indigenous Relations and                 Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC). CIRNAC does not pay incidentals and there are these are the responsibility of the Regular Member or First Nation Band.                 This includes air or ground travel, accommodation, and meals. It does not include incidentals. In the past, CIRNAC has provided support for one (1) individual               per First Nation band or Tribal Council to attend the LGANT conference. For more information, see the LGANT Regular Member Travel Policy for Band                           Managers. 


4. Where can I get a travel form to have my expenses reimbursed after the LGANT conference? 


Forms can be downloaded here. Please complete and sign, scan, and email back to (you can also mail the claim form and receipts) Expense claims that do not have this travel form completed cannot be processed. Travel forms and receipts must be received by November 1, 2019.


5. How do I pay my LGANT membership?


We now accept credit cards in addition to cheques. Please make cheques out to Local Government Administrators of the NWT. To pay by credit card, call our office at 867-765-5630.

6. There are changes to my LGANT membership from last year. How do I update you?


Simply call the office, email, or fill out this membership form and we'll make the changes to your membership.

7. I need advice from someone else doing this job to help me find a solution. Can LGANT help?


We sure can. Contact us at or give us a call. If we don't have resources immediately available, we can circulate an anonymous email to fellow members asking for their feedback and advice on your issue. 

8. I'm drafting policies for Council review and don't know where to start. Where can I find sample policies?


Check out the Templates page under Policies here. If you can't find what you need, please contact us and we'll do everything we can to find you what you need. 

9. My Council and I need some help to work together more effectively. What help is available? 


Answer coming soon! 

10. Can you provide me with salary information on hiring government staff?

In 2017 we asked our members to fill out our Wage Survey. We have collected the information and compiled into an easy to read  PDF that we are able to share with our members. Please contact us at and we will be happy to send you this information. 



5016- 47th Street, P.O Box 2083,

Yellowknife NT X1A 2P6 

(867) 765-5630

© Copyright 2020 Local Government Administrators NWT. All rights reserved.